09 März 2007

all dressed up and nowhere to go (or no one to take me)

It has been said that the core of human fear stems from abandonment. When one is in need or in danger and there appears to be no means of protection or no way of escaping a situation, one experiences fear that can be traced to an overwhelming sense of utter hopelessness. In these situations, we require someone else to rescue us and it often seems or is actually the case that there is no one to perform this role.

Abandonment is an emotion I have experienced frequently during the last several months. One could argue that avoiding this feeling is what drives our behavior. It is true that much of what I have tried to accomplish in order to take back my life relates to this. Recently, I have come to understand and accept that this is inherent in the human experience. I would like to think that it does not drive all that I do, but at the end of the day, I am sure that one could make a convincing argument that this was the case.

I find myself again experiencing this poisonous emotion. We experience it in a variety of situations, from medical crises to a relationship ending to a loved-one passing on. There are also the mundane cases, but abandonment feels the same. I am sitting on a front porch waiting for a taxi to take me to an interview and it has yet to come. I called an hour and a half ago to order the cab and I am now forty minutes late for the interview. This is, of course, not the impression I would like to make on the organization. Alas, I do not having another option. I am feeling abandoned.

My extreme tardiness to this meeting could affect the course of my life. I say this with caution, knowing that it might appear that I am blowing the situation out of proportion. It may also turn out that the recruiters will totally understand the situation and overlook my now forty-five minute lateness. One might say that this is an opportunity to demonstrate how I behave in crisis situations and will actually make me a more credible candidate. I can rationalize almost any outcome.

In the end, though, I have no control. I have called the taxi company a total of four times and I always receive the same answer, that I am next on the list, that they are busy. I have phoned other companies as well and the story is the same. There is no access to another form of public transportation where I am at and walking might have been an option three hours ago, but no longer.

In short, I am feeling abandoned. At first, I was enraged by the situation. My anger has yet to fully subside, but I now find myself saddened by potentially missing an opportunity at a chance to present myself and my abilities to a potential employer. And yes, the taxi has still not arrived, I am fifty minutes late now.

To extrapolate this though process even further, perhaps to its end, much of this has to do with time. Time has bound me to arriving late. It is also time, however, that will free me. At the end of this day, I will enjoy time with old friends and I am sure the events of the day will not be significant. If, in fact, I never make it to the interview or any for that matter, time will inevitably produce other opportunities. So life continues and time will also bring our inevitable death when time will no longer matter to us and all of these situations will be forgotten.

This is verging on coming across as morbid, but the same is true in the present. We know that each day will end and that the sun will rise. In the meantime, it is our charge to take advantage of the time we are given. We will fail and succeed over and over again. We will grow tired, yet we will rest and attempt once again to fulfill the charges of the day. Morning will come and in the end, we will come to find to comfort and solace that each and every one of us craves and needs. Of this I am convinced.

(p.s. taxi never showed, no other companies could help me. i missed the interview and could just say sorry.)

Labels: , , , ,

5 Kommentare:

Am/um 10:51 PM , Blogger heatherfeather meinte...

kiddo, that blows serious chunks. i'm sorry about that, and hope that you can reschedule.

 
Am/um 6:22 PM , Blogger X meinte...

A) I hate taxi's

B) Sometimes it wasn't meant to be (the job I mean)...but that doesn't mean you can't try and get another interview withthe company.

C) I think you need a drink :P (And if you were hear, I would totally drink with you!)

 
Am/um 9:16 PM , Anonymous Anonym meinte...

yeah, fritz, i am really sorry that taxi company was not dependable!! i hope you can reschedule with no problem. rachel

 
Am/um 8:01 AM , Anonymous Anonym meinte...

Those git bastids!
Don't they know *who* you are????
Either way, I believe that the universe often has bigger slash better plans for us and sometimes Life (tm) tends to unfold in mysterious ways; testing our courage and strength in times we may feel we're abandoned. I think you handled the situation as best as you could, Fritz.
With that being said... Don't they know who you are???? I would suggest you sue the taxi company for potentially lost-wages...
I will represent you with all of my Veraness... Oooh, I used my name as an adjective!...

 
Am/um 8:06 AM , Anonymous Anonym meinte...

Ok, my comment was totally ghey.
.......

I am now in the process of making diabolical plans to thwart the universe and it's stoopid ways of unfolding... Mainly b/c It made me post an inane and trite comment that looked more like an attempt to placate you...
Bluddy Universe!!
*shakes a fist*
*creates thunder & lightning*
*summons a bowl of jello*
mmmmm... when you have nothing else left in the world... there is ALWAYS room for JELLO™!

/vera

 

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Abonnieren Kommentare zum Post [Atom]

<< Startseite