16 November 2006

one year

a year ago yesterday, i left south africa. i year ago today, i arrived in germany. i wrote my housemate from south africa a text message: "i arrived. it is cold and dark." it was quite a shock coming from sunny south africa to the dark winter of europe.
sitting here now, it is quite a shock what all has happened during the past 365 days.

i worked at a car rental company for 5 weeks because i needed the money.
i moved back to denver and spent two days in the car with my mom and my dog. i survived a night in utah.
i found an apartment in denver.
i decided working full-time and taking 18 credits was a good idea.
nawa and i struggled with house-training in a new environment.
hansen's in denver almost ruined my 25th birthday party.
i drank a lot of gin.
i went to new york and dc with zero money in my bank account.
i lost my first job unwillingly because the company for which i was consulting didn't listen to my advice and the client was unhappy.
i had several somewhat major financial crises.
i had a seizure.
i had another seizure.
i had to take a lot of tests.
i decided to only get one master's degree.
i was fat (see prom pictures--not so pretty).
i finished school.
i went to AZ and LA with LJ.
i moved to iowa.
i vowed never to take amtrak again.
i was bored.
i got a job making coffee and pretending to be people's friends.
i lost thirty pounds.
i got rid of most of my possessions.
i reconnected with my family.
i went to germany.
i felt great.
i came back to iowa.
i did more purging and more of keeping myself busy.
i still make coffee.
i need a real job.

i feel lonely and do not know what to do next. but i am actually okay. i am okay with this in a weird way. because in a lot of ways, i am better off because of everything.

you guys deserve to know, because you've been with me through most of this.
smooches.

2 Kommentare:

Am/um 9:58 AM , Anonymous Anonym meinte...

It sounds like it has been a year of growing pains and as much of a platitude that this is, you *WILL* indeed pass through this... not unlike a kidney stone! ;) (that was my poor attempt at humour...)
If you think about all of the places you've been... to where you are now... to where you will be later... I just see so many things happening for you and I don't know you very much at all, Fritz. Just from what you've revealed here in your blog. I am pleased to read that you can see the blessings in life with friends and of course family. Friends though. Those people choose to love us. Not some weird biological instinct, but a choice. And as much as you are blessed to have them and know them... they are indeed blessed to know and have you.
/Vera

PS: Scatterbrained today... My thoughts are a bit bezubbled...

 
Am/um 11:16 PM , Anonymous Anonym meinte...

thanks for sharing, fritz.
you will be a stronger person from this.
a better one for that too.

 

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Abonnieren Kommentare zum Post [Atom]

<< Startseite