21 April 2007

thursday

I am wondering if Asian and/or Asian-American men in the United States feel like people will be suspicious of them now that this murderer has committed the massacre at Virgintia Tech. I just ask because it seems so often the case when a major event happens: the quiet, nerdy, suburban white kid gets called into the school counselor's office after Columbine, Arab-Americans are harassed after 9-11, attractive young female teachers become associate with underage sex, etc.

With my opening statement, I am obviously not suggesting that what this guy did had anything to do with his ethnicity, but in a society in which we are constantly flooded with images, and in
this case, repeatedly of the same individual, I wonder if the association is inevitable.

I also think about international students in general. In my experience, particularly as undergrads, they don't seem to integrate very well into the American student population. Of course there are exceptions. But as a largely isolated group (I understand that on some campuses, there is even an international student dorm which to me kind of defeats the purpose of studying in another country, but anyway) I wonder if suspicion and isolation will increase.

Or maybe, maybe, for once, the people of the United States will for once view this individual at face value, for lack of a better phrase: this guy was clearly mentally ill, clearly disturbed, clearly violent, clearly just really screwed up--and this had nothing to do with where he came from or what he looked like.

Labels:

1 Kommentare:

Am/um 7:51 AM , Anonymous Anonym meinte...

Ooooo, ok I'm slower than [insert trite cliche here]...

I just saw this post... Oy Vey Mehshuggahnuggets...

Hmmm, I was having this discussion with my friend from NL... It's a shame that people will boil this down to racial issue, but people are so base that it is, no doubt, unavoidable. The whole situation is a tragedy. Indeed it is senseless and it is scary and people have a right to be afraid. Even the motive is a bit unclear, but given the evidence it was an act set out on bitterness, resentment and even, dare I say, class struggle. Which is what so many things in this world are fought on or over. The sensationalism of it all is what bothers me the most... Ergh... I understand it is tragic, horrific and disgusting... You just don't see the number for the people dying of AIDS or treatable simple diseases in 3rd world countries posted all over CNN every day. Maybe if people were to see that, THOSE tragedies would also be thought to be tragic, horrific and disgusting as well... :\ OK, I could go on forever, but I won't and I'm certain I offended someone...
/Vera

 

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Abonnieren Kommentare zum Post [Atom]

<< Startseite